Prepaid Direct Cremation Plan Reviews.
With my advice, a simple Direct Crem Plan can be turned into something which brings family and friends together in a Celebration of Life rather than a brief and dry Funeral Service (though we can help liven those up too!) But it is a super-competitive market with prepaid plan prices starting at under £1,000. But the cheapest on is just going up by £200. That is exceptional though. most plans being around £1,600. Which is the best no ceremony plan for you is something we are here to chat through with you, so you buy with your eyes open! Or you could just ask for our free Guide to Direct Cremation Plans. Whatever you do, do NOT buy a plan over the phone without FIRST reading the brochure and all-important Terms of Business or you may buy a pup (and they are very expensive just at present!!)
What is Direct Cremation?
Simply a funeral where you are collected by the funeral director and whisked away in a private ambulance to be cremated with no family or friends attending. There is no service at the crematorium other than a simple committal in the presence of the staff. No family viewing after collection. Any ceremony or gathering is help as a separate matter and may, in some cases, be attended by the ashes once they have been returned. But which is the best prepaid cremation plan to choose?
Some plans are fully guaranteed, the majority are not, so direct cremation plans are a bit of a minefield – which we can help you through. Which is the best direct crem plan is not that obvious to the normal buyer.
If you aren’t sure if Direct Crem is for you, why not as me to email our Guide to Direct Crem (form below) . It is not a pitch for any particular plan, just a guide so you can see how they work, what some plans do NOT cover, and then decide if they are right for you. Either way, I offer independent advice on cremation with a ceremony – or without. Your choice!
Click here to see our list of reviews of prepaid plans for cremation without a ceremony.
Convertible Direct Cremation Plan Launched
With our input, a new type of plan has been launched to fit these uncertain times: a Convertible Direct Crem Plan. Initially, you can buy a direct crem plan, but with the option of changing it to a conventional plan with a service at any time up to the time you call the company to report the death. All you – or your family – need to do is pay the difference in cost between the two plans based on the cost at the time you make the change. So for example, you could take out a direct cremation plan now, and convert it to a normal plan once Covid is less of a problem (or your finances improve!) That makes it far easier to at least get a basic plan fully paid for, and worry about upgrading it later. – Contact Us for advice!
What are prepaid Direct Crem Plans? Simply, cremation without a service. Nothing to stop the family having a “do” at another time: but you will have gone off to a distant crematorium long before. It is a bit stark, so people should know in advance that there will be no normal ceremony. Another way of looking at them is as half-price funeral plans (or less) – without a doubt, they are the cheapest funeral plans! If you are not quite sure if they would be right for you, have a look at this article – or give us a call. The latest list of providers of prepaid cremation without a ceremony plan is lower down the page.
“Very useful Guide, thank you. Miss J.O. London”
Do be warned though that the various direct cremation plans are very different in what they include, as well as what is and is not guaranteed. As with all plans, you need to read the small print carefully, and ideally contact us for genuine independent advice rather than a sales pitch. Just because you get the lowest price for a prepaid plan doesn’t mean it is the best value.
With a Direct Crem Funeral Plan, the funeral director collects the deceased and that is the last the family see of them. In some cases, not even the ashes will be returned, or there may be an extra cost for that. The undertaker will take the deceased to their base, which might be hundreds of miles away and will then take them to a crematorium of the undertakers choice, to a cremation without a ceremony. After that, some firms will just spread the ashes at the crematorium, others will return them to the family – some inclusive, others at significant extra cost. Far from being a simple choice, these plans are more varied in what they do or do not include than most conventional plans.
Typically cremations without a ceremony will be out of hours when costs are lower. Generally speaking, the family may not attend, though with some it is (just) a slim possibility.
Below the enquiry form, there are 10 questions on the issues surrounding whether or not direct cremation is right for you. If you are unsure, read that part first (or have a chat with our Direct Crem Review team on 0800 0588 240) before carrying on. Alternatively, send us a specific enquiry using the form below, or a more general one from the one to the right.
Some Direct Crem plans are more flexible than others, some do not offer any flexibility, so it is crucial to make the right choice. Even more importantly, many of them do not offer a guarantee that the cost of cremation will be fully covered, which is a strong reason for working with us. It is an interesting and developing market, but the plans are not all the same. There is a definite place in the funeral plan market for cremation without a ceremony, but it is a niche area and it is certain that some of those left behind will find it a strange and upsetting choice, especially if there is no advance warning.
But you do need our advice because the terms and conditions of the various direct cremation plans are very different, and a lot of people’s plans will create an unexpected extra bill when they are used. Our independent advice costs you nothing, all we ask is that you use our paperwork if you accept our recommendation.
Co-op does itself offer a direct cremation, they offer the Memoria plan.
Memoria (low cost funeral)
Unique cremation without a ceremony
Which is the best direct cremation plan for you. and your pocket?
For advice on choosing the most suitable prepaid Direct Plans (in the UK), use the form below or just give us a call on 0800 0588 240. We will provide cost information, and a formal written recommendation for the cremation without a ceremony (or other plan) and quote for the plan we believe suits your needs. No sales pitch, just read and review the full details before making your own decision.
More Information on Funeral Plans for cremation without a ceremony:
1. “I want to feel in control of my own funeral.” (Any prepaid funeral plan helps there – they don’t need to be direct cremation plans).
2. “I want my friends and family to be free to remember me in their own way, at a time and place of their own choosing.” But will they be happy with the choice being yours, not theirs? Do you want to allow a little flexibility?
3. “I don’t want my family to be burdened with excessive funeral costs.” Again, any prepaid funeral plan helps there, but cremation without a ceremony is certainly the cheapest.
4. “I want to make sure there are no arguments over my funeral when I’m not there to settle them.” OK, fair point – but will they blame you or each other if they don’t agree with you? Passions run very high when people die, and lashing out is common if there is no service.
5. “I don’t want my family to feel obligated to spend more on a funeral than they can afford or more than I would want them to spend.” Again, any prepaid funeral plan helps there. At least with direct cremation plans there is little chance for the funeral director to sell the super dooper gold plated coffin!
6. “Some of my family don’t get on with each other, for that reason I don’t want any fuss around my funeral.” We’re not sure whether it will prevent the fuss or make it worse!
7. “I don’t have any close family and most of my friends have passed away.” This may well be a good reason for using direct cremation plans, or if family live thousands of miles away and it would cost a fortune for them to attend AND they understand.
8. “I believe the physical disposal of my body can be kept separate from a Memorial Service.” Sound sentiments if family and friends understand.
9. “I want a funeral with no frills and no expensive extras.” But funerals are rarely about the wishes of the deceased! They are there for the living to mourn and celebrate your life.
10. “I lived my life as simply and honestly as I could and I want my funeral to reflect that.” See our response to 9. above.