2019 Review: Family Funerals Trust Ltd in Feltham.
The Family Funerals Trust was founded in 1993, and was a founder member of the FPA. They are currently a local rather than national firm in the funeral plan market. However, the family behind it are fairly ambitious, so we suspect that they will become a bigger player in the prepaid funeral plan market in time. All plans are bespoke.
We’re not giving them too strong consideration just yet, but this may change as the firm develops. We feel that it is important to have plans in place which deal effectively and inexpensively with people who move out of the area in which the Family Funerals Trust Ltd operates. As stated, this will change as the Trust develops. In the meanwhile, they are perhaps a niche local player in the market.
They are quite open that their plans do not include third-party costs but they are happy to add in an allowance for cremation etc (most firms allow £1100) or in the case of burial, do a bespoke quote as costs vary dramatically from area to area. Once added, the services paid for are fully guaranteed.
This is what the Family Funeral Plans Trust have to say:
“For over 200 years Lodge Brothers (who are behind the Family Funerals Trust) have been handling the funeral arrangements for the local communities in which they are based.
Six members of the family now manage Lodge Brothers, the seventh generation of the same family to run the Company.
Lodge Brothers were founded in 1780 and our first Family Funerals Trust for the selling of Funeral Plans was set up in 1993.
We are different to some of the plan providers on the market for a number of reasons but mainly:
- We are the Independent Funeral Director that will be arranging and conducting the funeral at time of need
- Each and every plan we sell is written to the client’s needs by a fully trained funeral arranger – we price everything up to the clients’ individual requirements and include personal wishes. So we don’t have a one price fits all product.
- As we sell plans in the areas that we work in we have a good understanding of the local cemeteries/crematoria rules and regulations and will factor these into plans – we often do research on items such as grave ownership before we sell a plan! We know this is important as some of the plan providers simply provide a tick box for burial/cremation and do not go into any detail, and as an FD who has arranged funerals on behalf of other plan providers, we know this causes problems for families at the time of need.
- In 2016 we took the decision to stop accepting any future plans from other plan providers as they were badly written and the client was not always aware there could be more to pay. They were also using our brand name to sell plans.
- We guarantee there will be no additional costs at the time of the funeral, either to the Funeral Plan or fees as specified in the plan paperwork, no matter how much funeral costs and fees may increase.
- Our plans can be changed at any time and we do not charge an administration fee for making changes.
- Should a client wish to cancel their plan after the 28 day cooling off period– they will receive a full refund less our £100.00 Membership Fee – to my knowledge, this is the lowest cancellation fee in the market!
- We don’t use call centres and we do not bombard potential clients with lots of unwanted telephone calls.”
The Family Funeral Trust offers a variety of prepaid funeral plans:
The Foundation* is the most basic plan. This plan provides everything needed for a “no fuss” funeral but is only suitable for crematorium or graveside services. It doesn’t include use of the Chapel of Rest and a Church service cannot be added.
All of the other plans offer the same services you would expect from a traditional funeral, as below, but offer various types of coffin. If you wish to add other services to your plan e.g. limousines, a church service, order of service, then please let the Family Funerals Trust folk know and they can include them in your plan (additional fees will apply).
- Professional guidance on the registration of death and completion of statutory forms for cremation.
- Taking the deceased from a local address to our nearest premises. Please note if you move from the address specified in the plan additional fees could apply.
- Care of the deceased prior to the funeral including the use of the Chapel of Rest for Visiting (facilities for visiting are not included in the Foundation Plan).
- A wide range of coffins to select from.
- Provision of a hearse to the nearest local crematorium.
- Funeral Director and bearers for the funeral service in normal working hours.
- Counselling on religious ceremony and advice on notices for insertion in local newspapers.
- Listing of floral tributes or donations in lieu.
Other plans from the Family Funerals Trust Ltd include The Sherwood, The Salisbury, The Coloured Coffin, The Water Hyacinth, The Bespoke and The Willow.